Search This Blog

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Two Simple Things We Can Do to Save a Life


something we all need to do.

Awareness, about 4 years ago my life got turn upside down. The passing of my dad was one of the most tragic and painful memory I ever experienced. I was still a sleep at my apartment in Menasha and I awoke to the sound of my phone ringing. I picked up my phone and it was my brother Houks on the other line. He told me that my dad had just passed away and my mom wanted me to stop by the hospital to support the family.

I was in total shock because I just saw my dad the other day and now, he was gone forever... I couldn't face my family just yet so spent that weekend at my apartment thinking about all the things I could do to prevent this from ever happening again.  The major causes of his death was from a heart attack 10 years earlier followed by a stoke that immobilized the left side of the body, the causes of that were from poor eating habits and not exercising.

A quick song I wrote for my dad about a year after his passing. 
Sorry, spur of the moment thing so its not the greatest but it expresses something i never told him. 

I want people to become more aware that some our parents were never educated in eating right and exercising, especially the older Hmong folks. I believe we can prevent disease like heart attacks and strokes just by teaching them how important these two things are to be able to live a healthy lifestyle. This thought has been on my mind ever since the passing of my dad and I wanted to do something to make people more aware of the issue.

 Change, I started my mom on a cardio route this past weekend and plan to do the route with her until it becomes a habit. What seem so easy to us seems is so hard for them; she wasn't use to the movements and her body control was all over the place. I believe with a little encouragement and some effort can go a long way. In time she will build more confidence and be able to exercise on her own. Over the years I also have educated my mom and family on having a healthy diet and the importance of certain vitamins.

My moms first day of  doing her cardio route. 
After a week of exercising i already notice a big improvement in her movements. 

 Eating right and exercise may seem so simple to us, since we were taught this during our childhood while growing up in the United States.  If you have the knowledge to stay healthy and you choose not to stay health that's you're fault, but for the people that was never educated in these subjects they at least deserve a chance. Theses two things are very simple but vital to keeping people we love living long and strong.

 Please start by putting effort into educating the people that need it. It may seem minimal but if everyone helps out, it can make big difference. It took me a long time but I’m glad I’m finally starting to help my mom live a healthier lifestyle. If you ever had a love one that passed away from the lack of theses two things, you should already know how painful it is. Is a little effort a day too much to ask for? especially if you can save a love one from suffering...

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your father man. its bever easy to lose someone so close to you.

    On another, I agree with the changing of life styles for our folks through education they never received. Strokes and heart attacks are the major cause of death in the Hmong community.

    You and I both know parents can be stubborn and wont change their ways unless we find a way to help them change it lol.

    What we did in my family was change the groceries and cooked healthier food (coming from the guy who downed a 40oz steak just the other day LOL).

    Hope all is well with the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parents can stubborn. lol I've been telling my mom how important it for so long she gave in pretty easy. its only 30 mins and the rest of her time is pretty much just watching thai drama all day. glad you made changes too. thanks.

      Delete
  2. http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/story/news/local/2015/01/18/dr-kevin-thao-hmong-disease-rates/21945013/

    You're not the only one concerned. A Hmong medical doctor is working on it :D! It's true that our parents grew up differently from us and we need to help them adjust. I'm glad you're taking time to workout with your mom. I always joked to my mom by inviting her to the workout room with me. :D Hey, maybe you can run a zumba class :D. hmm...I'll have to think about that. They're already doing it in MN, just gotta bring it to your own local town. Keep up with the blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, ill look more into the hmong survey. i will keep up with the blog the best i can depending how busy i become. zumba class? i always thought about opening a small gym strictly for the older hmong folks, that way they have each other to stay motivated. but we can only do so much, it will still be something to think about once we get more data like the hmong survey.

      Delete
  3. Awesome read gay see! Nobody wants to see their loved ones pass but that's a part of life. How you live your life though, is something I am eagerly awaiting to read in your blog! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete